26.4.13

Pregnancy Sweet Spot (aka middle of the 2nd trimester)

Guys. Life is GREAT. At any given time, sure, there are things a prego in my shoes could complain or worry about. The leg and foot cramps have begun. Already. Any day now I'll be too big to carry both of my toddlers down the stairs at the same time, and then how the heck are we supposed to leave the house? But those thoughts can wait. Because pregnancy is so sweet right now.

Why?

Baby is starting to kick, but not in a painful, annoying, ruin-your-sleep kind of way. More like in a sweet, gentle, reminding-you-I'm here kind of way. And I love it! It wasn't too long ago I was in the ER with a friend (Brad was out of town) with severe cramps, sure I was miscarrying. Those kicks are signs of life for me and I am so thankful for every.single.one.

Nausea and vomiting are gone, and I haven't felt those wicked symptoms in weeks. I also haven't had to take the anti-pregnancy-nausea pills in months, which made me even more exhausted than I already was. I can enjoy food as a result, and cooking and baking too.

I'm showing and maybe even glowing. I don't know about the last part - but I've heard it once or twice. Probably more the glow you get when you haven't showered in a couple days and your kids are making you laugh and it's finally hot outside and you've been chasing the toddlers around. That glow, that's not at all related to pregnancy, is probably more the one I have, but I'll take the compliment :) And showing is great because people always give me their seats on the metro and I get a lot of smiles and kindness from the general population at large.

Our kids can see I'm pregnant and they're excited. Lily didn't know what the heck was happening when she was 4.5 months old and I ran to tell her the good news that she was going to be a big sister. Obviously.  But now she's 2.5 years old and well aware, she's even told us without a doubt that the baby is a girl! And even Oli understands a bit - at least much more than she did when I was pregnant with him! He kisses my tummy and says "baby!" a lot and cuddles it too.

I have some energy again, so I'm enjoying it. The 1st trimester and 3rd are often just such a blur of exhaustion, but the 2nd trimester really is grand. Some moms I know say they've never had more energy, and while I can't relate to that, I am feeling so much better than before that it seems that way. I'm loving taking the kids out in this nice weather and getting things done during some naptimes if I'm feeling extra empowered.

I'm realizing that my 3rd child is coming... soon! The 1st trimester is all about survival. I don't think much beyond the toilet bowl. I can't pretend I spend those early weeks dreaming of the baby who is being knit together in my womb. I'm thinking about what I ate last and how it's making me want to vomit. But now, I'm in a place where I can prepare, dream, and long for our third little sapling. I've begun buying some things we need (some cloth diapers in size 1, a car seat, etc), and I've started to prepare and get excited even for breastfeeding. I know September will fly by (and baby could come any time that month too!) and we have a busy summer ahead so he'she will be here before we know it!

it's a sweet sweet time and I'm savouring every last drop.


No comments:

Post a Comment